Note: this is a follow up from post: http://www.ineedcaffeine.com/content/2009/08/ebay-find-msm-5a-incandescent-display/
I received my MS-5a Mosaic readout displays from the Vintage Technology Association today. Not only did they include the two displays, but there were also a few other extras included as well. Nice work, guys!
The units themselves are rated for 3v, 50 mA but I can’t tell if that is 50 mA per segment or total. Powering them is simple, all you need is two AA batteries and a few alligator clips. The top set of fingers provide the common connection and the remaining connectors power the individual elements and the decimal point.
The markings on the unit:
MOSAIC INDICATOR MSM-5A Lamp 3v 50 MA. ALCO ELECTONIC PRODUCT. INC LAWRENCE MASS
Markings on the box:
ALCO ELECTRONIC PRODUCTS, INC. Lawrence, MASS. JAPAN. MOSAIC READOUT INDICATOR MODEL MSM-5A VOLT 5. (note: It looks like the 5 is scratched out…which makes sense. The units themselves are marked for 4V).
The display is smaller than I anticipated. I’ve included a video to help you get a better idea of the size of the unit.
I did find one other source of these displays: SurplusShed.com The version I have they are selling for $5/each. They also have a MS-250 which appears to be the same thing except with a red front and a different connector on the rear. Check out the links below for more info.
- Original Post: http://www.ineedcaffeine.com/content/2009/08/ebay-find-msm-5a-incandescent-display/
- The Seller’s eBay page hp2114b
- The Auction (expired) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310159188937
- The Seller’s Website (Vintage Technology Association) http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/
- Surplus Shed (MSM-5A): http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m2225.html
- Surplus Shed (MS-250AR): http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m2244.html